New York Lead
Foundation Center is seeking a dynamic and innovative strategist, collaborator, team builder, and fundraiser to manage Foundation Center’s New York Resource Center.
See the world. Make it better.
On February 1, 2019 Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it.
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Candid’s data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world.
Candid’s vision is an ambitious one. But we know that when we make investments in our talent, it translates to more access and better knowledge for those working for social good around the world.
POSITION: New York Lead
Director of Foundation Center Northeast
3 Part-time Direct Reports
LOCATION: NYC (Manhattan’s Financial District)
Foundation Center and GuideStar are now Candid. Read more at candid.org
Foundation Center is looking for a New York Lead to join its Social Sector Outreach (SSO) team. SSO is one of the Center’s most forward-facing units and engages directly with a diverse network of constituents through our vast in-person and online network. Our team contributes to the success of the social sector by connecting nonprofits to the resources they need to thrive. This includes the development and delivery of key offerings such as tools, trainings, and convenings at our 5 regional hubs, 400+ Funding Information Network locations in the USA and globally as well as web-based programming via live and recorded webinars, chats, discussions, and more.
In this role, you will provide strategic direction for the Center’s public services and programming at the local level. The Lead is responsible for creating a dynamic, user-driven experience for social sector professionals and social entrepreneurs in their community, as well as rapidly responding to information requests from community builders (funders, association leaders and key partners). The Lead also provides oversight for the following functions: facility oversight, local outreach coordination, training, fundraising, budget development and management. The Lead reports to the Director of the Northeast region and works closely with Leads in our other regional offices on crafting and curating the customer experience – onsite, in their community, and online.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of Foundation Center’s local office in their community, including programming, community outreach, marketing, reference support, budgeting and resource development and management.
- Participate in overall planning and fundraising efforts as a senior member of the regional team.
- Manage and cultivate a cohesive, motivated and innovative team.
- Lead group learning experiences, trainings, orientations and convenings for Foundation Center patrons in coordination with other local team members.
- Initiate and leverage effective working relationships across internal teams and departments.
- Work with regional staff to track data, statistics and trends on key audiences.
- Conduct evaluation and implement change to increase user satisfaction with Foundation Center programs and resources. Creates new programs and services in response to user feedback and demand.
- Serve as a key player in a dynamic network of leads that develop and support the online patron experience, including but not limited to the Center’s GrantSpace portal.
- Lead partnerships and collaboration with nonprofit associations, innovation hubs, and other, related organizations in their community to position the Foundation Center as a resource for nonprofit professionals and social entrepreneurs.
- Provide research support for local and regional initiatives, including responding to statistical and reference queries from grantmakers and other community organizations.
- Cultivate opportunities to expand, steward and strengthen the Center’s Funding Information Network to optimize access to Foundation Center resources.
- Performs other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- BA/BS and 5-7 years management experience required.
- Graduate degree in business/non-profit management or related field preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of the local social sector community.
- Ability to work independently and adeptly manage a small office in an evolving and changing environment.
- Ability to participate in and lead internal and external teams, meetings or task forces.
- Exceptional written communication skills; strong oral and interpersonal communication skills, including public speaking experience.
- Ability to work with and engage a diverse group of community members and organizations.
- Serious commitment to customer service and audience development.
- Very proactive in identifying and initiating opportunities.
- Extremely responsive and solution oriented in addressing challenges.
- Experience with marketing programs and services to the general public.
- Requisite character traits: creative, thoughtful, innovative, self-directed/self-motivated, committed to excellence, dedicated to their local community.